What is a Merit Personnel System?
A Merit Personnel System is defined as the manner of hiring and promoting government employees that emphasizes their ability, education, experience, and
job performance rather than their connections or other political factors - one in which human resources activities are governed by uniform and
impersonal policies and procedures. Federal legislation established the following six merit principles that apply to those state and local
governments that are required to operate a merit personnel system as a condition of eligibility for Federal assistance or participation in an
- Recruiting, selecting, and advancing employees on the basis of their relative ability, knowledge, and skills, including open consideration of qualified applicants for initial appointment.
- Providing equitable and adequate compensation.
- Training employees, as needed, to assure high quality principles.
- Retaining employees on the basis of the adequacy of their performance, correcting inadequate performance, and separating employees whose inadequate performance cannot be corrected.
- Assuring fair treatment of applicants and employees in all aspects of personnel administration without regard to political affiliation, race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, age, or disability and with proper regard for their privacy and constitutional rights as citizens. This “fair treatment” principle includes compliance with the Federal equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination laws.
- Assuring that employees are protected against coercion for partisan political purposes and are prohibited from using their official authority for purposes of interfering with or affecting the result of an election or a nomination for office.
Pursuant to California Government Code Section 19800 – 19810, the California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) is charged with the responsibility of ensuring
that counties that receive federal funds for programs within their Social Services and Child Support Services departments adhere to the federal
merit principles. CalHR has contracted with CPS HR Consulting to provide Recruitment and Selection and Classification services that meet the federal mandates.